As we speak, a bill in america is being debated that would give cencorship control to the media corporations in the United States of America. This would allow any website that links to a copyrighted download link to be blocked. Including Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Youtube, Google, Bing, Yahoo,basically any website. This blocking method would be the same that is used in China, Iran, and Syria. So heres an example of how it would work:
- I go out and buy a new album by a band I love
- I use one of the songs from that album in a youtube video as background music
- I post that video on facebook
Facebook, and Youtube are now completely liable for my post and most likley will be blocked. That being said it would become Facebooks and Youtubes responsability to censor what you post.
Now, you’re probably thinking: “Why does this matter to me? We live in Canada” Well if the bill goes into legistlation, there is a very good chance that Canada will follow, and same with many other countries. The bill also gives the power for the government to sue the companies that host torrents (P2P, very similer to LimeWire) meaning that they could be shut down.
Here is a good video on how protect-ip works: http://vimeo.com/31100268
So heres what you can do:
- Go to: http://americancensorship.org/ sign the petition (make sure to click the “I’m not in the US” and leave the Zip at 2000)
- If you run a blog or website, add the Stop Censorship banner
- Tweet, Facebook, Blog, Youtube about it! Get the message out there so other will follow in your footsteps